Friday, October 28, 2011

Amateur Radio Update


Well another class under my belt and about 5-6 more hours of reading over the last few days. Last night's class dealt with more electronics theory. My understanding and absorption factor felt much higher than the first class so I'm slightly more confident today.

I found a 3.5 hour series of audio podcasts for the entry level US amateur radio licence course and I've listened to that while commuting over the last few days as well. While the rules and regs vary slightly, the rest of the material was pretty good.

I've also started studying the question bank for the final test, it's 1000 questions and answers published by Industry Canada. The 100 question final exam is randomly generated from this bank of 1000 so it's a great study tool if you have a good memory.

I hoping Sam (VE7SDV) will get her handy talkie programmed for the Silver Star repeater so we can test the range and effectiveness from my place out in Lumby. It will be helpful in deciding if my first radio is a dual or triband HT (above) or an all-band portable (below)?




 

No comments: