Sunday, February 17, 2019

SSTV from the ISS


Over two weekends in February 2019 the crew on the International Space Station (ISS) broadcast SSTV images for a special event.

Amateurs around the world could try and receive / decode the messages. Chances to do so were limited to a few minutes each time the ISS passed overheard. From my personal experience this past weekend here were my results summarised.

I started with a cheap USB RTL-SDR receiver hoping to do all the work digitally in my PC. After a few pass overs of the ISS Friday this receiver and antenna combination was not doing the trick.

Saturday morning I switched to the following setup.
  • Yaesu FT-847 (transceiver)
  • RigBlaster Advantage (soundcard)
  • Comet GP-3 dualband VHF/UHF vertical (vertical antenna up 40 feet)
  • Ham Radio Deluxe (software)
  • MMSSTV (software)
For the next 5-6 pass overs between 10:20am Saturday and 9:45am Sunday here were the results.








No comments: