|PowerSDR in Panafall mode. Panadapter view on top, Waterfall view below.|
So my Flex5000a software-defined-radio (SDR) has worked extremely reliably since purchased new about 7 years ago. Yesterday I powered everything on to poke around on the HF bands and the first thing I noticed was that the Waterfall was black, no signals visible at all. The Panadapter above was working in Panafall mode, but the lower waterfall section showed nothing at all.
I Googled the problem and tried all of the above with no fix to the issue.
- Check all volume levels in PowerSDR.
- Changing the audio buffer from 2048 to 1024.
- Powering off Flex 5000a, cutting 12V DC power to the unit for a minute for a complete power cycle.
- Reset the PowerSDR database, wiping all preferences and starting from scratch.
- Restoring the PowerSDR database to restore all of my custom settings and preferences.
Overall I spent an hour doing all of this, none of it helped.
Finally, I powered off the PC. There was no indication that the PC might be the problem as I had other software running the entire time and I had no issues opening and closing PowerSDR, but I did it anyway. I powered the PC off (not a restart) waited a few seconds then powered it on again, loaded my other 'always-on' software, then loaded PowerSDR and everything was working.
- Intel Quad-Core CPU
- 16GB Memory
- 256GB Solid State Drive
- Windows 10 Professional 64bit
- Flex 5000a SDR Transceiver
- Power SDR 2.7.2 Software