Tuesday, May 05, 2009

AJ's Arcade - Nintendo's R-Type 1987


I just spent the evening clean and reprogramming another arcade machine I purchased for my home arcade.

Manufacturer: Nintendo
Year: 1987
Genre: Space

Monitor:

  • Orientation: Horizontal
  • Type: Raster: Standard Resolution
  • CRT: Color
Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
Maximum number of Players: 2
Gameplay: Alternating
Control Panel Layout: Single Player
Controls:
  • Joystick: 8-way
  • Buttons: 2
Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

This is a fun side scroller with a good degree of difficulty. I reprogrammed it for Free Play, 5 Lives, Bonus Lives, and Normal Difficulty. I serviced and repaired the joystick and two buttons that were sticky, they are working fine now. I may still order some replacement buttons as the current buttons don't all match and a few of the colors are not correct for this game. That aside it's working great and that's all that matters when it's the new game :)

Tonight Molly offered her toy room (which is more like a storage room) for me to turn into an arcade room. I might take her up on her offer if she doesn't change her mind. She likes playing these old games as much as I do so it's not like she won't be able to play in that room anymore, it's just the "toys" that are different.

No comments: